Monday, August 2, 2010

I love my Restoration Movement roots...

If you read my first entry, you know that my husband and first sister wife are Mormon. So, I decided to meet with the Missionaries and learn more about the faith of my family. I can now say I've actually read the Book of Mormon. And, boy, did I have a LOT of questions!!!
One of the first things I noticed is that the language of the book, the very syntax and grammer used does not vary AT ALL. Reading the Scriptures, you can tell who is writting. Each inspired author of the Bible had his own style of writting. Perfect case is the Harmony of the Gospels (Thanks Doc Henderson!). These 4 books were written about the same events, near the same time, about the same person. The styles are no where near the same! Matthew was a tax collector, he wrote as a common person. Mark was young, and wrote as a young man. Luke was a doctor, and wrote as a learned man. John was the closest to Jesus and wrote as a personal friend. And, NO ONE rights like Paul, with his run on sentances. And that's just a few books of the 66!
Joseph Smiths "translation" of the golden plates has the same sentance structure all the way through. 2600 years BEFORE Jesus was born, He is refered to as Christ. It is even said that His followers were to be called "Christians". Um, last time I checked, the word christian was a derogetory name made up by the Romans. It was never held in high regard. Its a troublesome read, as every few sentances you run into the phrase "and it came to pass". I mean, I must have read the statement over 1000 times, and thats not an exageration. Its like Joseph Smith just made it all up. I guess its not too hard to write a book, even for a young man.
These words will probably hang heavy on my husband's heart, but I just can't believe it. It doesn't hold the truth that I know to be real. I am a Follower of Christ, and I will search until I find the church I am to go to.

4 comments:

  1. Praise God you are keeping His truth in your heart! I too have had similar experience with the LDS church. I hold nothing against them but I believe in GODs word ONLY. God said that you shall not add to or take away from the Word of God and I feel (my opinion) that the book of mormon has done just that..."added to"

    Keep the faith! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the Faith, Julie ! I mean no disrespect to your new family but there is so much error in the teachings of the LDS & FLDS churches that it's mind boggling !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your blog so much! It really helps hear about a real life not "cultish" pm family. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus Christ. He is our only Savior. In Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left the Presbyterian church to get closer to God. I found the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and have gotten closer to Father in heaven. The Book of Mormon has been a big factor in that in teaching me the Lord's gospel and what He wants for us. I don't understand how people can object to more of the Lord's word. Did He suddenly go mute or what? What loving parent would not want to continue communication with his children? What of the many books mentioned in the Bible that are not included in its canon? I learned much in the Presbyterian church for which I am thankful. I've learned more since, for which I also give thanks.

    ReplyDelete